IDNR Extends Comment Period on First Application to Frack
Due to significant deficiencies in the initial fracking permit application, IDNR has received supplemental information from Woolsey for their application and has extended the public comment period, indicating that comments they receive on or before 5:00pm on July 28, 2017, will be accepted. SAFE encourages all of its members – and anyone else concerned about the dangers posed from fracking – to submit comments during this period. To help facilitate the submission of public comments, the Illinois People’s Action (IPA) organization has produced a comprehensive list of 34 comments arguing for the rejection Woolsey’s application. IPA’s comments on the application indicate:
- no Confinement Zone identified for the containment of high injection well pressures, (Comments 5, 6, 7, & 10)
- concealment of hazardous fracking chemical information under the guise of Trade Secret protection, (Comment 13)
- unusually large usages of local groundwater, (Comment 14, & 15)
- woefully inadequate estimates of flowback waste water from the injection well, resulting in inadequate containment, (Comments 17, 19, 20, & 23)
- unclear and uncertain methodologies for the protection against radiation contamination, (Comments 21, 32, & 33)
- inadequate protection against earthquakes with respect to the Casing and Cementing Plan, (Comment 24)
- 692 additional citations in the “Compendium of Scientific, Medical and Media Findings Demonstrating the Risks and Harms of Fracking, 4th Edition” since passage of the fracking law (HFRA) on June 17, 2013 – now totaling 924 specific fracking related risks and harms, (Talking Point 3.)
Please download IPA’s comment list through the above hyperlink or here.
Public comments submitted will need to reference Woolsey’s Review Number (HVHHF-000001) in the email subject line and within the text of the comment, and can be emailed to DNR.HFPublicComments@illinois.gov. Comments may also be mailed to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Attention: Oil and Gas Regulatory Staff, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702.
IDNR may schedule a Public Hearing from 10:00am to 5:00pm at the Enfield United Methodist Church Family Life Center, Corner of West Main and South Jennette St., Enfield, IL. Details will be emailed out when they become available.
Categories: Current Events