Yes, our 21-year incumbent representative in Congress, John Shimkus, did vote for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would have allowed the federal government to raid the Social Security trust fund in order to balance the budget.
The bill was masked as a balanced budget amendment, often popular among budget hawks. This is ironic considering this Republican Congress has racked trillion dollar annual deficits for each year of the next decade. And, they’ve achieved this in less than a year and a half in control of both the Legislative and Executive Branches.
Here’s the play-by-play.
- Big tax giveaway with no guarantees for American workers, American jobs, and repatriation of profits back to America.
- Massive spending bills without paying for anything.
- Make healthcare more expensive and access more out of reach.
- Fake a balanced budget amendment vote to throw the base off what they’ve actually passed.
- No infrastructure plan that would create millions of jobs across America.
We’ve seen this playlist time and time again with a GOP-controlled government.
Out of control spending, tax breaks without any benefits for workers and the economy, and ultimately the American people will get hit when the bill comes due.
It’s about time we throw them out and get back to work.
Failure is not an option because our communities are on the line.